What is a diagnostic assessment?
A diagnostic assessment is a comprehensive individual assessment that involves gathering developmental, emotional, social, health and family history, as well as information from childcare, pre-school or school on the emotional, psychological, social, developmental and learning ability of the individual. We provide these assessments for children and adults.
This assessment also includes observations and the administration of assessments such as cognitive and educational tests, speech and language assessments, auditory processing and test of attention, dependant on the difficulties of the child or teenager, and interpreting these results.
The goal of the diagnostic assessment is to learn about the individual’s abilities and difficulties, and in this process assist to identify if the individual has symptoms and difficulties that are severe enough to qualify for a specific diagnosis.
The diagnostic assessment may include the following assessments, based on the needs and difficulties of the individual:
- Attention testing
- Auditory processing testing
- Behaviour and functioning assessment
- Cognitive and educational abilities assessment
- Pervasive developmental diagnostic assessment
- Psychological and emotional assessment
- Speech and Language assessment
- Social Skills assessment
- Screening for difficulties in fine and gross motor skills
What disorders and difficulties are we able to diagnose from our assessment?
A diagnostic assessment will help to clarify the individual’s needs and appropriate interventions, and whether the individual may have difficulties that may fall within the following areas:
- Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder – ADHD
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Asperger’s Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Delay-NOS
- Auditory Processing Difficulties
- Anxiety and other affective difficulties
- Behaviour problems including oppositional and conduct disorder
- Developmental Delay
- Learning Disorder
- Reading and writing difficulties
- Speech and Language Disorders
- Screening for sensory processing difficulties
A written report detailing the assessment, tests, results, interpretations and recommendations including interventions and referrals, will be provided as part of your face to face feedback session.